Suggestions, Comments and Complaints

The doctors and staff at this practice are committed to providing high quality health care and services to patients. This page explains how you can comment, compliment or complain about the service you have received.

If you wish to comment or compliment our services please write to:

Derby Medical Centre
8 Epsom Square
KT19 8AG

or complete one of our suggestion forms and place it in the box provided on reception. You can also submit feedback online by completing the Feedback and Complaints triage.

As part of the NHS system, we operate a practice complaints procedure which meets the national criteria.

How to complain

It is best to tell a member of staff about any concerns or problems as soon as they arise and they will try to sort them out. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, please let us have the details. The sooner we look into the matter the easier it will be to establish what has happened.

Complaints should be addressed to the practice manager. We will write to you summarising your complaint to ensure we have understood it.

Please tell us how you would like your complaint to be resolved e.g.

  • Over the phone
  • At a meeting
  • With a written response

and the outcome you hope for.

It helps us if you can give us as full details as possible about your complaint.

We will look into your complaint to:

  • Find out what happened and whether something went wrong
  • Invite you to discuss the problem with those involved, if you would like this
  • Apologise where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again

There is a limit of a maximum of 12 months for making a complaint. In exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to investigate the issue outside of this time if there are good reasons why the matter could not be raised earlier and if it is still possible to investigate it.

Where you can get assistance

If you would like independent advice or support about your complaint, the following organisations may be able to help:

  • Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS)
  • Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). Visit
  • NHS Direct, a 24 hour confidential telephone and e-health information service. Telephone 0845 4647 or visit
  • Action against Medical Accidents (AVMA). Visit
  • Surrey Primary Care Trust (NHS Surrey)
  • Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS). Telephone: 01372 201700
  • Complaints Service at NHS Surrey, Cedar Court, Guildford Road, Fetcham, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 9AE. Telephone: 01372 201700
  • Surrey County Council for social care enquiries. Telephone: 0345 009009

Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving a service, or has received a service, can complain. You can complain for yourself or for someone else. We may need to disclose information from the patient’s medical records. If you complain for a friend or relative you must have their written consent to represent them unless they are incapable of providing this; our complaint form provides for this. If the patient has died or lacks capacity we will need proof that you are an appropriate person as determined by law.

What to do next if you are still unhappy:

If you are not satisfied with the way we have dealt with your complaint, you can make a request for an independent review by contacting the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP, telephone enquiries: 0345 015 4033 (fax 0300 061 4000).

You can email them at: or visit their website for more information:

Are we speaking your language?

If you would like a copy of this information in another format e.g. large print or in your own language, please contact our practice manager on 01372 726361.

Please remember

  • We want you to let us know if you are unhappy or have a suggestion about how we can do things better
  • All complaints are treated in the strictest confidence
  • Making a complaint will not affect your treatment or care